Garages are often the first place to collect junk. They are big open spaces that you do not have to look at or walk over every day. They are easy targets for items that would not fit in the closet, things you do not want to throw away, or anything else that does not have a set place in the home. However, garage organization does not have to be difficult or expensive.
First, determine your goals for organizing your garage
• Would you like to park your car in the garage?
• Have a garden or work space for future projects?
• Find what you are looking for when you need it?
Once you have answered these questions you can organize your garage.
• Take everything out and use your driveway to sort
• Set up zones and collect similar items
• Have a section for donate and another for trash
• If you have decided to donate or give to a friend do it within a week so it does not go back into the garage
A Place for Everything
• Determine layout for garage based on what you are keeping
• Purchase plastic storage bins (measure and determine quantity)
• Use a pegboard to hang and store tools
• Sort like items into bins and place in designated areas
• Label all boxes or shelves
• Remember to place items used most frequently on lower shelves as well as heavier items as they are difficult to move
• Put things back where they belong on a daily basis so that the garage does NOT fall back into disarray
• Follow up on items that don’t belong in the garage
If you would like for one of our friendly and helpful organizers to give you a hand, please give us a call at 909.307.4862